Swedish Heritage and Culteral Center

The Swedish Heritage and Cultural Center is operated by the Stanton Historical Society which began in 1970, Stanton’s 100th birthday.

The Swedish Heritage and Cultural Center is operated by the Stanton Historical Society which began in 1970, Stanton’s 100th birthday.

In 1993, the old main school building (built in 1885) was being vacated and sold. Elman Sandell, a 1940 alumnus, paid for the winning bid so that it could become a museum. After a year+ of renovation and exhibit construction, SHCC officially opened in 1995, including its first Midsommar’s Dag festival.

In 2015, the nationally renowned “world’s largest Swedish coffeepot” was deactivated as a water tower and moved to the Center’s lot. It was repaired and repainted in 2016, and now in 2018, is in the process of landscaping.

So . . . besides the coffeepot, what’s inside? The usual tour begins with a brief history of the Swedish immigration to the founding of Stanton.  In that area there can be found artifacts and photos of Stanton’s history into the 20th century. Elsewhere on the main floor is a restored classroom of about 1930-1950, the gift shop, a 1900-1940 timeline, a Children’s Home exhibit, and a growing library for genealogy, Stanton history, also Swedish history and culture. A resident, former resident or a descendant thereof can usually find a record of the residence in Stanton and/or the rural county.

Upstairs are exhibits about the town baseball team, the local FFA, barbed wire, the Essex bank, part of the libraries of Pastor Halland, Pastor A. Leonard Smith and son Dr. Leonard Smith, and others in progress.

In November of each year, the Society serves a traditional Swedish holiday meal, including lutfisk. In June at the Midsommar’s Dag event, Swedish pancakes and sausage are served. Swedish dances performed by the Svenska Skolan students follow.

Close Menu